Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Countdown Is My Kryptonite

Dear DC Editorial Staff,

Just thought you should know, that i just dropped Countdown.* I, who loves DC comics, dropped it. I'm also gonna avoid any cross-overs (and there are a bunch) or anything written by any of the writers involved.** That's how awful this series is. If a title I'm reading gets a one issue cross-over, I may drop it for that month. If a title I'm reading gets one of the Countdown writers as the new writer (Teen Titans, Birds Of Prey), I'm more likely to drop it than not.

In short, if I see the word "Countdown"*** on a comic, I will avoid it, like, well, Superman avoids Kryptonite.

Nice job!

*Despite the fact that you put Legion characters in there. I love the Legion. Every version. I have every appearance by every Legion character**** ever in some form. I haven't not gotten the Legion since 1989, and haven't missed a Legion character's appearance in a non-Legion title since. And now, because a writer of Countdown writes it, I am considering dropping the main Legion title as well. That's how much Countdown sucks.
**Especially Paul Dini, I've already dropped Detective Comics.
***Or Dini. Or Palmiotti. Or Gray*****. Or Bedard. Or McKeever. Or Beechen.
****Except the characters like Superboy or Supergirl.
*****As the writer, of course. I'd get a comic with the Gray Gargoyle in a heart beat!

3 comments:

Robin said...

We just gave in and cancelled our subs in Eugene. I was going to drive down there more often and pick them up, but it hasn't happened. So now we're getting ready to start a new box up here in Portland, and I had to write down everything we're reading (ALL SEVEN). Then Joshua told me he had the Eugene store mail us everything *except* Countdown.

And I got happy. And I haven't even read 52 yet!

Anonymous said...

i knew a mike bedard once.

Wanyas the Self-Proclaimed! said...

Please, please, please don't confuse 52 with Countdown. They only have the trade dress, weekly format, and (now) Keith Giffen in common. The previous two issues got better with him there and Mike Marts gone. But, still, not enough to make it good, only better.

But, if MIKE Bedard starts writing it, I'll pick it up again.