Thursday, April 19, 2007

This Applies To Marvel Characters, Too!

Circulating the internets is a discussion about how the comic character Robin* is being written inconsistently across his own title and Teen Titans. Apparently, in his own book, which I don't read, he freaks out a bit and cracks jokes. Whereas, in the team book, which I do read, he's cool and collected and serious. The thought is that this is bad writing and they should co-ordinate more. I disagree.

Having a character appear in too many books by different authors can often cause too many inconsistencies in the character's personality making them seem as two different characters. What I see in this case, though, is a person, when on his own, is freer to respond how he wants. When he's with his friends in a leadership position, he's able to shunt those insecurities aside and puts up a brave face. I could also see the opposite: someone brave and fearless in their own book, allows himself to fade in the back or joke around on a team as there are more people around to carry the load (like, maybe, Blue Beetle in the old Justice League books). So, rather than hurting the character, I feel this potentially helps, adding depth to the personality.

Oh, and, err, Dio rocks!

*I said the comic character, Robin!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yah. Since you mention Marvel characters too i'm sure you've thought of "black costume" Spidey cracking jokes in the New Avengers even though he's dealing with Aunt May's condition in ASM.

Wanyas the Self-Proclaimed! said...

Yup.

But, keep in mind, the editors should be aware of these things.

Wanyas the Self-Proclaimed! said...

By the way, did I ever say that bothered me? Cause if I did, I changed my mind on that. That's not an issue I had with the Amazing issues, I don't think.

Robin said...

I am a philosopher. We do not have to be consistent.