Wednesday, June 20, 2007

SupermegaWizardWorldPhillyConReport!!!!!, Part Three

The Secret Mission!

What was this hunt for? Well, Friday night, the night before I left for the convention, I, along with our vacationing Supermegamonkey friends came up with the idea of getting artists to do sketches, of, are you ready for this, Dio! But, not just of Dio, Dio as the artists favorite hero or villain! Awesome, right?

So, I bought a blank sketchbook before leaving for the con and put photo-reference on my ipod. But, once we got there, I realized these artists wanted money for their work. Jerks! I'm poor right now. I can't be spending money like that. Plus, there were lines. Long lines. So, I gave up, a little frustrated.

As we were leaving, we passed the DC booth where Dustin Nguyen (not this Dustin Nguyen) was doing sketches and autographs for free (well he was paid by DC to do it, but free to me). I was hesitant, but Roberto correctly pushed me into it. The line wasn't too long, and I recognized his art and liked it.* Finally, it was my turn:

"Uh, I have a slightly odd request. Could you draw this guy (shows photo on ipod) on the hero or villain's body of your choice."
"What? Huh?"
I repeated myself.
"Oh. Ok. Who is he?"
"Dio. The one true rock god!"
"I see. I'll draw him on the body of Superman (since I'm the new artist of Superman/Batman, plug plug). Wait! Something's...happening. I can...only...draw...Dio. He's too powerful...a force!"
"..."
"There you go. Nice to meet you."
"Thanks. Great job."

"Now, draw any hero or villain you'd like."**
"What? Huh?"
"Anyone you like to draw."
"Ok"
"Cool. Nice job. Thanks. I knew who it was before you started to draw."
"Nice to meet you."
Mister Freeze by Dustin Nguyen***

Dio by Dustin Nguyen

*No offense to Dustin, but I also noticed at this time that Walt Simonson was due at 5 PM in the DC booth and would have loved to see him sketch Dio/Thor! How awesome would that have been? But, that was a couple of hours away and I was already ready to shoot myself in the head.
**This is Roberto talking
***This isn't uploading right. I'll try again at my home computer. It's an awesome sketch.****
****Fixed!

Part Four

No comments: